Explosion Clad Designs
Explosion clad can be a cost-effective solution when large diameter, vacuum, and heat transfer are required for Pressure Vessels, Columns, Heat Exchangers, and Piping.
Explosion cladding is a process where solid metal plates of dissimilar metals are joined into a single plate having the same mechanical and corrosion resistant properties of the existing metal.
- Backer material is primarily carbon steel or stainless steel but can be any material. The backer plate is designed per the specified pressure vessel design code to the design pressure and temperature requirement.
- Clader material is selected to be the corrosion resistant barrier for the pressure vessel. This material is commonly:
- Duplex Stainless Steel
- Austenitic Stainless Steel
- Mating surfaces are ground clean
- Assemble Backer / Clader / Explosive
- Detonate explosion
- Testing / Inspection
*Image courtesy of Nobel Clad
TITAN Metal Fabricators is recognized globally as a leading manufacturer of custom engineered explosion clad Pressure Vessels, Reactors, Columns, and Piping for chemical process. Our specialty is working in corrosion-resistant alloys, including:
- Titanium Explosion Clad
- Tantalum Explosion Clad
- Zirconium Explosion Clad
- HASTELLOY Explosion Clad
- Inconel Explosion Clad
- Nickel Explosion Clad
- Duplex Stainless Steel Explosion Clad
- Stainless Steel Explosion Clad
Explosion Clad Designs
TITAN’s explosion clad designs include a broad variety of features and accessories:
- Large and Small Diameter
- Standard Convention Jacket
- Half Pipe Jacket
- Dimple Jacket
- Agitator Systems
- Internal Baffles
- Dip Pipes
Benefits of TITAN Explosion Clad Designs
TITAN reactive metal, High Nickel Alloy, Duplex and Austenitic Stainless Steel equipment should be considered for any application where corrosion is a factor. TITAN explosion clad equipment can:
- Be the most cost-effective solution compared to using solid construction where high pressure, vacuum, and heat transfer are required.
- Delivery many years of economical service life.
- Eliminate expensive downtime due to equipment failure.
- Provide outstanding corrosion resistance.
TITAN can build pressure equipment based on numerous pressure vessel codes including ASME, PED/CE, and the Chinese GB Code.
Manufacturing capacities include diameters up to 168″ and weights up to and exceeding 200 tons.
You’ll find TITAN chemical Pressure Vessels, Reactors, Columns, and Piping installed around the globe — wherever there is a corrosion problem to be solved.
Explosion Clad Pressure Vessels and Heat Exchangers Utilizing Explosion Clad Bonnets/Tubesheets
TITAN Metal Fabricators
Trusted By Industry Around The Globe For Corrosion-Resistant Process Equipment.
For a general guide on corrosion resistance, temperatures, and concentrations, please see TITAN’s publication, “Corrosion Resistance of Metals in Various Chemical Media” for additional information.*
*Please Note: Final selection of material must be based on actual evaluation of the metal in the corrosive medium under study.